It's just getting dark as a Blue Line train crosses Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis. The IDS Center is in the background.
Saint Anthony Falls, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, was originally the only natural waterfall on the upper Mississippi River. Beginning around the time of the Civil War, the falls were replaced by an increasingly complex arrangement of dams, spillways and locks to facilitate navigation and shipping. The power of the river was harnassed for milling and generation of electricity. This photo shows the Upper Saint Anthony lock, and the spillway for the dam which is just upstream.
In Minneapolis, office workers of today have lunch in U.S. Bank Plaza, with a view of the classic 19th century City Hall across the street. Minneapolis City Hall and Hennepin County Courthouse (also known as the Municipal Building), designed by Long and Kees in 1888, is the main building used by the city government of Minneapolis, Minnesota as well as by Hennepin County. The building is built of rose granite quarried in Ortonville, with many stones greater than 20 tonnes in weight. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.